The Writing Center provides Cornish students with free personalized writing support through individualized half-hour conferences. Writers visit the Writing Center to work with consultants on any kind of writing at any stage of the process.
Fall 2023 in the Writing Center
The Cornish Writing Center offers in-person consultations and screencast feedback (asynchronous).
You may schedule your consultation (Writing Center, MCC 212) by clicking on the link below. Same-day appointments are welcome.
You may submit your writing for screencast feedback seven days a week. Expect a response within 48 hours.
See our Canvas page for details and resources.
Writing Center peer consultants are Cornish students who serve as readers, sounding boards, and advisors for fellow artists and writers. Consultants prepare for this work by studying theories of writing and learning, while developing strategies for supporting all writers at any stage of the writing process.
Writing Center Hours Fall 2023
Mondays 1:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Tuesdays 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Wednesdays 1:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Thursdays 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Fridays 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Schedule an Appointment
Information + Details
KINDS OF WRITING YOU CAN CONSULT ON
You can consult with us about all kinds of writing such as:
- academic essays
- creative writing
- resumes and cover letters
- artist statements
- anything else you’re composing
We are here to help during any and all stages of the writing process, from brainstorming to editing. During a consultation, consultants focus on your goals and concerns and provide practical feedback by asking questions and helping you think through the possibilities in your writing.
WHAT TO HAVE READY FOR A CONSULTATION
We begin by hearing from you about your project, your questions, and what you’d like to achieve. It’s always helpful when you bring any notes or drafts you’ve written, as well as having the assignment handy if the project is for a class.
Reserve a time by using our online scheduling. Same day appointments are usually available.
SUBMIT YOUR WRITING ONLINE FOR SCREENCAST FEEDBACK
We invite our busy Cornish writers to submit drafts online. A consultant will prepare a screencast video response that you can watch and use at your convenience. In screencast feedback, consultants respond to a variety of writing concerns, such as:
- How can I achieve better organization in my paper?
- Does the tone of my cover letter sound professional? How could I make it more polished?
- Does the conflict between these two characters come across in my short story? What could I do with the dialogue to emphasize that?
- And many more!
WRITING CENTER MISSION AND LEARNING OUTCOMES
WRITING CENTER MISSION
We believe that writing is a means to think through and communicate about our art, and an art-form unto itself. By using collaborative, question-based, and writer-centered approaches, we support students of all backgrounds and abilities as they develop into more effective, confident writers.
Through our consultations and services, we aim for writers to achieve the following outcomes, differentiated by frequency.
We aim for new users of the Writing Center to:
- Know what the Writing Center offers and when to seek our resources
- Know that writing is a process and there’s no wrong way to go about it
- Develop new writing strategies
Feel comfortable talking about their writing We aim for seasoned users of the Writing Center to:
- Exercise agency in discussing and revising their own writing
- Build awareness of their own strengths & weaknesses as writers
- Recognize that writing choices depend upon audience
- Feel confident writing in different contexts
ALUMNI ARE WELCOME!
Cornish alumni are welcome to continue to use Writing Center services after graduation. You may schedule an appointment or submit online using your Cornish email. We just ask that alumni users respect the volume of current student consultations we conduct by doing two things:
- Be thoughtful about the frequency with which you seek feedback, especially during mid-term and finals week.
- Be aware that during busy times of the semester we may need to prioritize currently enrolled students. In practice, this may mean it takes us a few days to get back to you with video feedback, rather than 48 hours, or we need to find an alternative time to meet with you. We’ll let you know if that’s the case.
the Writing Center Lounge
The Writing Center staff enjoys welcoming students, faculty, staff, and visitors to our space. We are conveniently located in MCC 212, next door to the library. Please come by! The Writing Center is thoughtfully outfitted with a cozy sofa and chairs, and we have the usual amenities you’d look for in a writing space, including tables for group or individual work.