The Writing Center provides Cornish students with free personalized writing support through individualized half-hour conferences. Writers visit the Writing Center to chat with consultants about any kind of writing.
the Writing Center Lounge
The Writing Center staff enjoys welcoming students, faculty, staff, and visitors to our space. We’re located in MCC 212, conveniently next door to the library.
When visiting Cornish, come by and we’ll make you a cup of tea or coffee and show you around. Not only can writers address all of their research and writing needs in one corridor, our space is carefully outfitted with a cozy lounge with sofa and chairs. We have the usual amenities you’d look for in a writing space, including tables for group or individual work, and nine PC computer workstations.
Information + Details
What to Bring
You can bring in writing such as:
- class essays
- creative writing
- resumes and cover letters
- artist statements
- anything else you’re composing
And there’s no need to have a draft for an in-person conference because our consultants love to help you brainstorm! We are here to help during any and all stages of the writing process, from brainstorming to editing. During a conference, writers can expect our consultants to be active readers. We focus on your goals and concerns and provide practical feedback by asking questions and helping you think through the possibilities in your writing.
In-Person Consultations + What to Expect
We begin by asking you about your project and what you’d like to work on together. It’s always helpful when you bring any notes or drafts you’ve written, as well as a copy of the assignment if the project is for a class.
Drop in anytime we’re open and a consultant will usually be available to chat within a half-hour. We also welcome appointments so we can reserve a time just for you. Use our online scheduling page to reserve your time. You may reserve up to 2 consecutive 30-minute slots for a total of 60 minutes consultation time and as many as 3 appointments per week. Contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or would like to schedule with a particular consultant.
Submit Your Writing Online 24 Hours a Day.
We invite our busy Cornish writers to submit drafts online. Online, consultants respond to a variety of writing concerns, such as:
- How can I achieve better organization in my paper?
- Does the tone of my cover letter sound professional? How could I make it more polished?
- Does the conflict between these two characters come across in my short story? What could I do with the dialogue to emphasize that?
- And many more!
Our Writing Center consultants are Cornish students, mentored by the Writing Center Director, Amanda Hill. Peer consultants are inquisitive writers and artists who are thrilled to talk with fellow artists about their writing. Writing Center consultants take a semester-long class dedicated to theories about writing and learning while developing strategies for supporting all writers with many kinds of writing questions.
Writing Center Mission Statement and Learning Objectives
WRITING CENTER MISSION STATEMENT
We believe that writing is a means to think through and communicate about our art, and an art-form unto itself. By using collaborative, question-based, and writer-centered approaches, we support students of all backgrounds and abilities as they develop into more effective, confident writers.
Through our consultations and services, we aim for writers to achieve the following objectives, differentiated by frequency.
We aim for new users of the Writing Center to:
- Know what the Writing Center offers and when to seek our resources
- Know that writing is a process & there’s no wrong way to go about it
- Develop new writing strategies
- Feel comfortable talking about their writing
We aim for seasoned users of the Writing Center to:
- Exercise agency in discussing and revising their own writing
- Build awareness of their own strengths & weaknesses as writers
- Recognize that writing choices depend upon audience
- Feel confident writing in different contexts
Alumni are Welcome!
Cornish alumni are welcome to continue to use Writing Center services after graduation. They may visit face-to-face by scheduling an appointment or submit online using their Cornish email. We just ask that alumni users respect the volume of current student consultations we conduct by doing two things:
- Be thoughtful about the frequency with which they seek feedback, especially during mid-term and finals week.
- Be aware that during busy times of the semester we may need to prioritize currently enrolled students. In practice, this may mean it takes us a few days to get back to you with video feedback, rather than 24 hours, or we need to find an alternative time to meet with you. We’ll let you know if that’s the case.