The Writing Center provides Cornish students with free personalized writing support through individualized half-hour conferences. Writers visit the Writing Center to chat with consultants about any kind of writing.
Fall 2021 in the Writing Center
The Cornish Writing Center will offer in-person, remote, and screencast feedback this semester.
In-person hours are held in the Writing Center, MCC 212. Writers are welcome to drop in or can schedule an appointment in advance.
Remote hours will be conducted using Zoom. Writers should schedule an appointment. Same-day appointments are welcome.
To receive screencast feedback 7 days a week, visit the submission form.
See our Canvas page for many details and resources, or read on below.
Please send any questions to Writing Center Director, Amanda Hill.
Information + Details
Our Writing Center consultants are Cornish students, mentored by the Writing Center Director, Amanda Hill. Peer consultants are inquisitive writers and artists who are thrilled to talk with fellow artists about their writing. Writing Center consultants take a semester-long class dedicated to theories about writing and learning while developing strategies for supporting all writers with many kinds of writing questions.
WHAT TO HAVE READY FOR A LIVE CONSULTATION
You can chat with us about all kinds of writing such as:
- class essays
- creative writing
- resumes and cover letters
- artist statements
- anything else you’re composing
And there’s no need to have a draft for a live conference because our consultants love to help you brainstorm! We are here to help during any and all stages of the writing process, from brainstorming to editing. During a conference, writers can expect our consultants to be active readers. We focus on your goals and concerns and provide practical feedback by asking questions and helping you think through the possibilities in your writing.
LIVE CONSULTATIONS + WHAT TO EXPECT
Live consultations are available in-person or remotely using Zoom. We begin by talking about your project, your questions, and what you’d like to achieve together. It’s always helpful when you bring any notes or drafts you’ve written, as well as having the assignment handy if the project is for a class.
Reserve a time by using our online scheduling to reserve your time. Same day appointments are usually available and we may even be able to meet with you within the next hour.
SUBMIT YOUR WRITING ONLINE FOR VIDEO FEEDBACK
We invite our busy Cornish writers to submit drafts online; a consultant will prepare a screencast video response that you can watch and use at your convenience. In video feedback, consultants respond to a variety of writing concerns, such as:
- How can I achieve better organization in my paper?
- Does the tone of my cover letter sound professional? How could I make it more polished?
- Does the conflict between these two characters come across in my short story? What could I do with the dialogue to emphasize that?
- And many more!
We will respond to your writing within 48 hours, and we usually get back to you within one day.
Writing Center Mission Statement and Learning Outcomes
WRITING CENTER MISSION STATEMENT
We believe that writing is a means to think through and communicate about our art, and an art-form unto itself. By using collaborative, question-based, and writer-centered approaches, we support students of all backgrounds and abilities as they develop into more effective, confident writers.
Through our consultations and services, we aim for writers to achieve the following outcomes, differentiated by frequency.
We aim for new users of the Writing Center to:
- Know what the Writing Center offers and when to seek our resources
- Know that writing is a process & there’s no wrong way to go about it
- Develop new writing strategies
- Feel comfortable talking about their writing
We aim for seasoned users of the Writing Center to:
- Exercise agency in discussing and revising their own writing
- Build awareness of their own strengths & weaknesses as writers
- Recognize that writing choices depend upon audience
- Feel confident writing in different contexts
Alumni are Welcome!
Cornish alumni are welcome to continue to use Writing Center services after graduation. They may visit face-to-face by scheduling an appointment or submit online using their Cornish email. We just ask that alumni users respect the volume of current student consultations we conduct by doing two things:
- Be thoughtful about the frequency with which they seek feedback, especially during mid-term and finals week.
- Be aware that during busy times of the semester we may need to prioritize currently enrolled students. In practice, this may mean it takes us a few days to get back to you with video feedback, rather than 24 hours, or we need to find an alternative time to meet with you. We’ll let you know if that’s the case.
Professor of Rhetoric and Composition | Writing Center Director
the Writing Center Lounge
UPDATE: Due to health and safety measure at Cornish, the Writer Center lounge will be closed during fall 2020 semester.
The Writing Center staff enjoys welcoming students, faculty, staff, and visitors to our space. We’re located in MCC 212, conveniently next door to the library.
When visiting Cornish, come by and we’ll make you a cup of tea or coffee and show you around. Not only can writers address all of their research and writing needs in one corridor, our space is carefully outfitted with a cozy lounge with sofa and chairs. We have the usual amenities you’d look for in a writing space, including tables for group or individual work, and nine PC computer workstations.