Office of Financial Aid

Grants + Work Study

Cornish requires the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for all U.S. citizens and permanent residents.

Explore Financial Aid Offerings

Submission of the FAFSA at is necessary to determine your eligibility for the programs listed below.

Learn more about FAFSA

Federal Pell Grant

The largest Federal Grant program, the Federal Pell Grant is designed to assist students from low-income families. These need-based grants are awarded to degree-seeking undergraduate students who have not yet earned a bachelor’s degree. Eligibility is based on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) on the FAFSA. These grants do not need to be repaid.  

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant supplements financial aid beyond the Pell Grant. If you are eligible for the Pell Grant and demonstrate high financial need, you may be considered for this grant.  FSEOG does not need to be repaid.  Funding is limited and priority consideration is given to students with a zero Expected Family Contribution (EFC).  The maximum award is $1,000 per academic year, unless additional funding is received.  

Federal and State Work Study

The Federal Work Study program was established by Congress to help students find part-time employment to meet educational costs while providing valuable work experience, while the State Work Study program was established by the Washington State Government for Washington resident students. Most students who are eligible for work-study will work between 6 and 10 hours per week with a maximum of 19 hours a week. Funds are paid directly to students and are not credited towards tuition invoices. 

Students that take out private or PLUS loans may see their Work Study award limited to a certain amount. These students can reach out to the Office of Financial Aid for more information.

If you are awarded Work Study (this will be listed on your offer for financial aid), then you must accept Work Study funds to be able to seek a position with the college or a college Work Study partner. You can accept your Work Study funds by filling out the Acceptance of Work Study email that gets sent out to eligible students each year, or by contacting the Office of Financial Aid. Jobs can be found on the Cornish Work Study Job Board, and directions on how to apply are located in each job listing.

Work Study jobs are limited to one per student. Work Study jobs are handled much in the same way as other jobs, you still have to apply and interview to be considered for a position. Most Work Study jobs can use either State or Federal Work Study funds, but it will be noted on the job listing. For students that do not qualify for Work Study but would like to look for employment, Cornish works with outside organizations that offer non-Work Study opportunities. Interested students may contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information.

Washington College Grant (WCG)

Formerly called the State Need Grant, the Washington College (WCG) helps low-income undergraduate students from the state of Washington pursue degrees, hone skills, or retrain for new careers.  These grants are awarded based on income and financial need and continued academic progress.  

College Bound Scholarship (CBS)

For eligible Washington State residents, the College Bound Scholarship program is an early commitment of state financial aid to eligible students who sign up in middle school and fulfill the scholarship pledge.


Passport to College

For eligible Washington State residents, this program helps former foster youth and unaccompanied homeless youth prepare for and succeed in college, apprenticeships, or pre-apprenticeship programs. Funds can be used for tuition, fees, books, housing, transportation, and some personal expenses. 

Washington Bridge Grant

The Washington Bridge Grant is a one time grant of $500 offered to full Washington College Grant recipients that do not qualify for College Bound Scholarship and register for 3 or more credits. This grant is currently only for the 2022-2023 aid year.

More Information