Veteran’s Benefits

Selected academic programs of students at Cornish College of the Arts are approved by the Higher Education Coordinating Board’s State Approving Agency (HECB/ SAA) for the enrollment of those eligible to receive benefits under Title 38 and Title 10 of the U.S. Code.

Students should apply for their VA education benefits through the VA at the same time as they apply to the College. Registration & Records will need a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility prior to the start of the first term in order to initiate benefits. New students should be prepared to accommodate a possible delay of at least two months between the start of the term and receipt of benefits.

Families with Post-9/11 VA education benefits may be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon program and should contact the Registration & Records Office for more information. Yellow Ribbon benefits may affect other types of financial aid, or prior offers of aid. Total Cornish and Veterans Yellow Ribbon contributions cannot exceed unmet tuition and mandatory fees for the year.

Chapter 33: Post-9/11 GI Bill® & Yellow Ribbon Program

Students receive a maximum of $23,671.94 per academic year toward tuition and fees. Tuition benefit is prorated by the service member’s length of service percentage. Students also receive a monthly living stipend as well as a one-time payment for books and supplies each term.

The tuition and fees payment is made directly to the school on behalf of the student once the school’s enrollment certification is processed.  As of Fall 2013, Cornish is pleased to also participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Admitted students can log in to Compass and submit their Application for Yellow Ribbon benefits at Cornish online.

Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Services Program (VR&E)

The tuition and fees payment is made directly to the school on behalf of the student once the school’s enrollment certification is processed.


Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill

The monthly benefit is paid directly to the student. Please visit education benefit payment rates.

Chapter 35: Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

The monthly benefit is paid directly to the student. Please visit education benefit payment rates.

Marine Gunnery Sergent John David Fry Scholarship

The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship provides Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to the children and surviving spouses of service members who died in the line of duty while on active duty after September 10, 2001. Eligible beneficiaries attending school may receive up to 36 months of benefits at the 100% level.

  • Full tuition & fees paid directly to the school for all public school in-state students. For those
    attending private or foreign schools, tuition & fees are capped at a statutory maximum amount
    per academic year.
  • A monthly housing allowance.
  • A books & supplies stipend.

NOTE: Fry Scholarship beneficiaries are not eligible for Yellow Ribbon Program benefits.

To learn more about this important new benefit, please review our Fact Sheet. To either apply or make an election, one can complete and send an application (Form VA-Form 22-5490). You can download the form by clicking here  and send a copy via the GI Bill website ( using the “Ask a Question” button. You may also mail the completed form to your nearest Regional Processing Office, or request a paper application by calling 1-888-GI BILL-1(888-442-4551).

Receiving VA Education Benefits at Cornish

Before using Veterans Education benefits at Cornish, students must provide the VA Coordinator in the Registration & Records office with a copy of their Certificate of Eligibility. To obtain a Certificate of Eligibility, apply for the education benefits through the VA.

A student’s enrollment status is a factor in determining the total amount of funding paid by the Department of Veterans Affairs, and the College must report changes of enrollment status to the Department of Veterans Affairs. Any student who decides to withdraw from a course or courses should contact the Veterans Affairs Coordinator.

The Department of Veterans of Affairs will also only pay for those courses that advance a student’s progression toward a degree and reduce the number of units needed to graduate. Therefore any student who must repeat a course must notify the Veterans Affairs Coordinator. Similarly, any student planning on taking a course at another institution should also contact the Veterans Affairs Coordinator regarding the transferability of credit from the other institution.

A student will automatically be certified each term provided the student remains in good academic standing and continues to make satisfactory academic progress towards graduation.

Should a student be called to active military service while enrolled at Cornish, s/he must contact the Veterans Affairs Coordinator immediately so that the student can be advised about the process for any necessary withdrawals, leave of absence, and/or incomplete grades.


For Veteran Benefit questions contact Megan Mittelstaedt: | 206.726.5058.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

More Information