Operations & Facilities
The Operations & Facilities department is looking to hire two (2) Custodians to join the team responsible for maintaining the cleanliness and tidiness of all College facilities and exterior spaces in order to facilitate an effective learning environment. This position is represented by OPEIU Local 8.
The mission of Cornish is to provide students aspiring to become practicing artists with an educational program of the highest possible quality, in an environment that nurtures creativity and intellectual curiosity, while preparing them to contribute to society as artists, citizens, and innovators. Cornish realizes this mission by offering baccalaureate studies in the performing and visual arts and by serving as a focal point in the community for public presentation, artistic criticism, participation and discussion of the arts.
If you are looking for a culture that promotes and supports creative engagement, consider Cornish. In addition to a great culture, Cornish offers generous paid medical, dental, vision, long-term disability, paid time-off and holidays.
- In conjunction with Custodial Manager prioritizes daily tasks and follow instructions regarding the safe use of chemicals, supplies and equipment.
- Cleans bathrooms including:
- disinfecting restrooms/shower rooms, fixtures and equipment
- refilling dispensers for soap and paper products
- safely disposing of hazardous materials
- Cleans floors including:
- vacuuming carpeted areas
- dust mopping and mopping non-carpeted areas
- stripping, cleaning, buffing and applying finish to floors
- shampooing carpets using floor polishing machine
- appropriately cleaning sensitive flooring such as dance floors
- Cleans offices, classrooms, and common areas including:
- cleaning chalkboards and white boards
- dusting and wiping furniture, baseboards, walls, doors, and kickplates as needed
- emptying and cleaning cigarette urns
- wiping tables and organizing lounge areas
- separating regular garbage from recycling and disposing in appropriate containers
- cleaning drafting tables and desk tops
- staging rooms for student use
- Completes other duties such as:
- locking and unlocking secured offices upon entry and exit to perform cleaning duties
- reporting need for repair and/or maintenance
- washing interior or easily accessible exterior windows
- sweeping and cleaning sidewalks, stairs and alleys
- occasionally operating high-pressure washer
- keeping dumpster areas clean
- moving trash containers into and back out of alleys for pick up
- Assisting in clean-up in emergency situations
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma plus minimum one-year applicable experience or equivalent education and experience
- Certified in CPR, First Aid and Blood-Borne Pathogens (training provided)
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and written
- Ability to relate well with diverse populations and provide excellent customer service
- Ability to stand, walk, and bend for entire shift
- Ability to lift between 25-50 lbs
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to use College specified chemicals, cleaning products and equipment properly
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions
- Ability to work a flexible schedule during the year and also daily as scheduled work can get interrupted
- Ability to effectively work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to be mindful of secured areas
- Attention to detail
- Must pass background check
- Two years of custodial service
- Experience in a not-for-profit, higher education or arts environment
Department: Operations & Facilities
Reports To: Custodial Manager
Pay Grade: Non-exempt; Full-time
Please submit the following items to our email, Careers@Cornish.edu:
1) Resume or C.V.
2) Cornish Employment Application Form
Equal Opportunity Statement
Cornish commits to demonstrating respect for individual expression and integrity; to promoting the equality of opportunity and rights of all persons within the community and to actively encouraging and maintaining the representation and inclusion of diverse cultures and backgrounds within the student body, faculty, staff and curricula.
We believe that diversity refers to a number of human qualities and characteristics. National origin, race, gender, age, socioeconomic background, religion, sexual orientation and disabilities are characteristics that combine in unique ways, forming the multiple identities we all hold. Those diverse characteristics contribute positively to the environment of Cornish and to an education that accurately reflects and contributes to the complex interplay of art, culture and society.
We hold ourselves responsible to fulfill the mission of Cornish by preparing students “to contribute to society as artists, citizens, and innovators,” and believe that the mission is best served by actively cultivating a positive environment in which to explore and express the diverse perspectives of a pluralistic society.
Cornish College of the Arts is an equal opportunity employer intent on enriching the diversity of its faculty, staff, and students. Our goal is to create an intercultural learning environment comprised of people with varied experiences and perspectives. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups for all open positions.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.