The Cornish Theater Department’s mission is to help students develop their own creative voice within the broad and embracing art form that is the theater, and to actively connect their work with the world around them. The Theater Department’s educational tracks grounds students in a fundamental understanding of techniques that will be of use whether their goals are in professional theater, television, film, improvisation, or multidisciplinary experimental work.
Letter from the Chair“The future is what artists are.” –Playwright Oscar Wilde
What are the stories you have to tell? What are the dreams you have yet to imagine? How can you use theater—the ultimate collaboration, an art form that can encompass every other art form—to tell those stories?
At Cornish you develop your artistic voice in a secure environment in which you can take creative risks. You discover your possibilities within the broad and embracing art form that is theater while you actively connect your work with the world around you. Your journey is facilitated by a faculty and staff of working artists who also connect you to a vibrant local and national theater community.
Your goals might be in regional theater, musicals, television, film, improvisation or multi-disciplinary experimental work. You might develop some new imaginative hybrid that none of us have thought of. At Cornish you can fill your storytelling toolbox while developing a vision of yourself as an independent artist with a powerful creative voice and a fundamentally grounded process for making work.
As a Cornish Theater graduate you will be physically and vocally flexible and dynamic, critically astute and articulate, and in possession of a wide variety of techniques applicable to a range of theatrical styles. You work effectively within a group for a goal larger than yourself, and you present yourself and your personal aesthetic with clarity and confidence.
The Cornish Theater Department provides you with an education centered on a stimulating approach to making theater which:
- develops your gift for telling compelling stories in a range of mediums
- values and fosters both personal and professional growth
- places an equal emphasis on technical/performance education and intellectual/creative development
- provides a bridge to the Seattle and national professional theatre communities, taking full advantage of the extended educational opportunities available
- provides opportunities for students and faculty to engage in collaborative interdisciplinary projects including film and digital performance
Richard E.T. White
Theater Department Chair