Playhouse Technical Supervisor
Department Cornish Playhouse
Reports to Pinky Estell
Pay Grade Exempt, Full-time
Compensation $45,000 to $56,100
Responsible for technical management for the Cornish Playhouse at Seattle Center, and the Cornish Event and rental spaces throughout the campus.
- Collaborates with Director of Cornish Playhouse, HR, Development, Marketing, Department Heads, Production and Administrative staff, to plan and manage the technical needs of external and internal usage of the Cornish Playhouse department facilities and Seattle Center.
- Collaborates with rental clients to plan and manage the technical needs of the Cornish Playhouse department facilities and Seattle Center.
- Assists in technical needs of rentals for the all Cornish facilities.
- Maintains and organizes production equipment, props & scenery in cooperation with costume and lighting/sound departments to ensure safe and clean working environments along with IATSE House Staff.
- Helps to build, regularly manage and maintain all technical stage equipment along with IATSE House Staff.
- Establishes and enforces policy in all areas relating to technical production.
- Manages and supervises all activity within Theater and Studio, onstage/backstage, studio spaces and lobbies (during lobby specific events).
- Works with College production technical employees and Director of Cornish Playhouse in:
- generating budget estimates and invoices pertaining to technical, production and labor costs.
- ensuring safe and timely construction/install of all (College) Cornish Playhouse sets/programming
- managing overall schedule in the Playhouse
- BFA Degree in Technical Theater or Production
- Five to seven years experience in a theater environment, educational or professional
- Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate
- Supervisory experience in theatrical production setting; strong leadership skills
- Experience working as carpenter with wood, metal, foam, and other common scenic materials
- Experience using PC and Mac computer; working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google Docs/drive, proficient in Excel for budgeting
- Ability to use AutoCAD and Vectorworks drafting programs. One with high proficiency.
- Understanding of design process
- Experience with general rigging principles and demonstrated ability to rig safely
- Comfortable working above the stage floor either on grid and/or catwalks
- Demonstrated ability to work with professional production teams, performers, and theater staff
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse population and a variety of constituents
- Strong budgeting and organizational skills; proven ability to effectively manage multiple priorities
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing
- Ability to lift 50-70 pounds repeatedly, either alone or with assistance from others
- CPR/First aid certification (training provided)
- Washington State Drivers License and safe driving record
- Must pass background check
- Experience working in a higher education or not-for-profit environment
- AutoCAD and VectorworksCAD software proficiency
- ETCP Certified Rigger-Theater
Please submit the following materials to Careers@Cornish.edu:
1. Cover Letter
3. Cornish Employment Application (From Cornish Website)
Equal Opportunity Statement: Cornish College of the Arts is an equal opportunity employer intent on enriching the diversity of its faculty, staff, and students. Our goal is to create an intercultural learning environment comprised of people with varied experiences and perspectives. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups for all open positions.