Access Services Librarian
The Access Services Librarian manages the daily operation of circulation, which also includes the direct supervision of student library assistants, class reserves, audio visual equipment coordination and stacks maintenance oversight. Additionally, this role provides reference service, information literacy instruction as needed, and contributes to collection development.
The mission of Cornish is to provide students aspiring to become practicing artists with an educational program of the highest possible quality, in an environment that nurtures creativity and intellectual curiosity, while preparing them to contribute to society as artists, citizens, and innovators. Cornish realizes this mission by offering baccalaureate studies in the performing and visual arts and by serving as a focal point in the community for public presentation, artistic criticism, participation and discussion of the arts.
If you are looking for a culture that promotes and supports creative engagement, consider Cornish. In addition to a great culture, Cornish offers generous paid medical, dental, vision, long-term disability, paid time-off and holidays.
- Oversees circulation services and maintenance of library collection
- Coordinates stacks maintenance including collection inventory and shifting
- Supervises the Student Library Assistants
- Participates with other librarians in providing reference service
- Manages and processes class reserves
- Coordinates circulating and on-site audiovisual and media equipment
- Maintains and compiles statistics for circulation, class reserves, study room, and the gate count. Provides or assists the Library Director in providing collections, circulation, or other statistics from the ILS for mandatory college, federal, and industry reports
- As needed and as other duties allow, participates with other librarians in providing, planning, and designing of information literacy instruction
- Works with the library website as needed
- Coordinates posting of library and lab hours
- Contributes to library collection development with selection and order requests for titles as identified and needed
- Writes and maintains procedures for areas of responsibility
- Provides essential services backup as needed when other library staff are on leave, including ILL
- Completes other duties as required or assigned by the Director
- Master’s degree in Library Science (MLS or MLIS) from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited program
- BA or BFA in visual or performing arts; or demonstrated, comparable level of subject proficiency
- 2 years circulation services experience
- 2 years supervisory experience
- Reference experience
- Demonstrated ability to work with computers in a networked or cloud based environment, including working with integrated library systems, online public access catalogs, Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and standard office equipment
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Ability to work cooperatively with a diverse campus community
- Strong service orientation and ability to work well with all levels of patrons
- Ability to perform database maintenance in a circulation module
- Evidence of good organizational and time management skills
- Must pass criminal background check
- Experience supervising student library assistants, especially in a work-study system
- Academic Library experience
- Demonstrated broad knowledge of library materials and resources related to the visual and performing arts
- Experience with LibGuides
- Experience with Koha ILS
- Previous experience working with class reserves
- Previous experience with audio visual equipment collections
- Information literacy instruction experience
Reports To: Director of Library Services
Supervises: Student Library Assistants
Pay Grade: E, Non-Exempt. $22.58/hour
Work Schedule: Year round, Mon-Fri, Full-time, overlap with work-study assistants during day, some evenings, weekends, on call/as needed.
Please submit the following items to our email, Careers@Cornish.edu:
1) Cover Letter or Letter of Interest
2) Resume or C.V.
3) Cornish Employment Application Form
Equal Opportunity Statement
Cornish commits to demonstrating respect for individual expression and integrity; to promoting the equality of opportunity and rights of all persons within the community and to actively encouraging and maintaining the representation and inclusion of diverse cultures and backgrounds within the student body, faculty, staff and curricula.
We believe that diversity refers to a number of human qualities and characteristics. National origin, race, gender, age, socioeconomic background, religion, sexual orientation and disabilities are characteristics that combine in unique ways, forming the multiple identities we all hold. Those diverse characteristics contribute positively to the environment of Cornish and to an education that accurately reflects and contributes to the complex interplay of art, culture and society.
We hold ourselves responsible to fulfill the mission of Cornish by preparing students “to contribute to society as artists, citizens, and innovators,” and believe that the mission is best served by actively cultivating a positive environment in which to explore and express the diverse perspectives of a pluralistic society.
Cornish College of the Arts is an equal opportunity employer intent on enriching the diversity of its faculty, staff, and students. Our goal is to create an intercultural learning environment comprised of people with varied experiences and perspectives. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups for all open positions.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.