Songwriting and Recording
Whether you’re curious about songwriting and/or recording, want more songwriting experience and feedback, or just want to take your musicianship to the next level — this class is for you! Our unique masterclass format combines specific tips, lessons, and songwriting examples/analysis with group feedback and in-class work-shopping. Write, edit, and record an original song in just six weeks!
We will spend the first few weeks crafting and editing your original song, as well as covering the basics of recording technology. The last few weeks will including recording and editing your song so that you come away with a professional-quality recording! Collaboration, creativity, positivity, and performance feedback will be themes throughout. Expect to come away with new tips and tricks to improve your songwriting, confidence, studio experience, and performance!
Discussion & Class topics will include:
- Song Analysis – what makes a good song? How do I write a good “hook”?
- Chord Progressions – an easy breakdown of how to write good harmonic content
- Writing the Lyrics
- Melody – what makes a strong melody?
- Rhythm – breakdown of groove, time signatures, harmonic & melodic rhythm/pacing, AND an introduction to the drum kit & bass lines
- Song textures – vocal harmonies, instrumental hooks/figures, AND writing out basic notated charts so that other musicians can play your song
- In-class group workshopping and feedback on your songs!
- Recording & performance preparation – developing confidence, performance techniques, polishing your song, working in a studio (and how to replicate the process at home if you have the software/equipment), etc.
- Recording in a professional studio! How the process works, introduction to the technology, and best practices in the studio.
- Come away with a professional recording of your song!
Back to class safely – While we do hope to continue our in-person learning, please note that this learning experience may need to evolve to an online or hybrid learning platform based on the safety regulations and recommendations by the city and state.
Program Continuing Education
- Fall: September 24th to October 29th
- Thursdays, 6:30 – 8:30 pm
Price $600 for 6 sessions
There are no dress requirements for this course.
Location: Kerry Hall, 710 East Roy St, Seattle, WA