Songwriting and Career Development
Whether you’re curious about songwriting and/or recording, want more songwriting experience and feedback, or just want to take your musicianship to the next level — this class is for you! Our unique masterclass format combines specific tips, lessons, and songwriting examples/analysis with group feedback and in-class work-shopping. Write, edit, and record an original song in just six weeks!
We will spend the first few weeks crafting and editing your original song, as well as covering the basics of recording technology. The last few weeks will including recording and editing your song so that you come away with a professional-quality recording! Collaboration, creativity, positivity, and performance feedback will be themes throughout. Expect to come away with new tips and tricks to improve your songwriting, confidence, studio experience, and performance!
Discussion & Class topics will include:
- Song Analysis – what makes a good song? How do I write a good “hook”?
- Chord Progressions – an easy breakdown of how to write good harmonic content
- Writing the Lyrics
- Melody – what makes a strong melody?
- Rhythm – breakdown of groove, time signatures, harmonic & melodic rhythm/pacing, AND an introduction to the drum kit & bass lines
- Song textures – vocal harmonies, instrumental hooks/figures, AND writing out basic notated charts so that other musicians can play your song
- In-class group workshopping and feedback on your songs!
- Recording & performance preparation – developing confidence, performance techniques, polishing your song, working in a studio (and how to replicate the process at home if you have the software/equipment), etc.
- Recording in a professional studio! How the process works, introduction to the technology, and best practices in the studio.
- Come away with a professional recording of your song!
Due to the current health and safety restrictions, our Summer at Cornish intensives will are being held remotely. Through a mix of synchronous and asynchronous learning, students will perform and create with our Cornish instructors. Our intensives find the best balance to keep our students developing their skills by using a varied learning format that helps students create, design and perform!
Apply for the Cornish Extension Programs Scholarship!
Cornish is committed to making our courses available for youth students who demonstrate artistic and academic promise, financial need, and interest in the program by offering modest scholarship assistance. Cornish College reserves the right to change any final scholarship award based on the number of qualified applicants and available funding.
Program Summer At Cornish
Registration is currently open with special Early Bird prices available now through March 1st. Early Bird extended to April 1st!
Dates: July 19th – 30th
Times: Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 4:30 pm
Price $950.00; Early Bird $870.00
There are no dress requirements for this course.