Kerry Hall. Photo: Clarita Hinojosa.
1 of 5
Kerry Hall, courtyard outside the PONCHO Concert Hall. Photo: Mark Bocek.
2 of 5
Kerry Hall, main entrance. Photo: Mark Bocek.
3 of 5
Kerry Hall, vestibule of the historic PONCHO Concert Hall. Photo: Mark Bocek.
4 of 5
Kerry Hall, on stage at the PONCHO Concert Hall. Photo: Mark Bocek.
5 of 5
The original Cornish School building built by Nellie Cornish in 1921, today's Kerry Hall houses the Dance and Music departments. Off the tree-shaded courtyard on the east side of Kerry is the entrance to the 200-seat PONCHO Concert Hall. Rehearsal rooms and departmental offices take up the bulk of Kerry's space. The building’s top floor includes some spectacular dance studios. Named for Mrs. A. S. Kerry co-founder of the Music and Art Foundation that saved the Cornish School and ran it as a non-profit, Kerry Hall is a linchpin of the Capitol Hill’s Harvard-Belmont Historic District.
By 1919, the Cornish School has vastly outgrown its rented rooms in the Booth Building on the south end of Capitol Hill and was renting space down Pine Street in the Oddfellows Hall. Nellie Cornish and her backers decided it was time for a purpose-built school building. Ground was broken for Cornish School early in 1921. The new site was located at the opposite end of the hill near Broadway and Roy Street. Designed in the Spanish Colonial Revival style by leading Seattle architect A. H. Albertson, the Cornish School was ready by the start of the 1921-22 school year. Significant not only for its beauty, Kerry Hall is the first example of a structure built for the allied arts.