Video by Gigantic Planet.
An audition is required to be considered for admission to the Dance program at Cornish College of the Arts. The audition gauges your potential for success in the Dance Program. Previous dance training is required for admission.
Audition Dates for 2019 Admission
Pre-registration is required. Click on one of the dates below to register
New York City - October 13/14 DanceWave Auditions. Pre-registration required
Chicago - November 3/4 CNADM. Pre-registration required
On-Campus - November 18 Pre-registration required
On-Campus - February 24 Pre-registration required
- You will participate in both a ballet and a modern technique class at an intermediate level.
- You will be observed and evaluated by a member of the Dance Faculty on the basis of previous technical training, alignment, core support, expressive phrasing, and individual artistic potential.
- For audition classes you should wear a form-fitting leotard and tights. For ballet classes, wear soft ballet shoes (no pointe work is required). For modern classes, be prepared to dance with bare feet.
The Dance department strongly encourages you to make every effort to audition in person. If distance prevents you from auditioning in person, you may post your audition with your admission application online.
Guidelines For Recording Auditions
Your audition material should be 10–20 minutes long. It should demonstrate your technical level and ability in ballet and modern dance.
- The recorded image should show your entire body.
- The ballet portion should be 5–10 minutes in length.
- Please perform several barre exercises (plies, tendus, ronds de jambes, développés, grand battements) and center floor combinations including adagio, pirouette, petit allegro and grand allegro. If possible, the camera should be focused on the side of the body during the barre in order to record alignment.
- The modern portion should be 5–10 minutes in length.
- Perform typical modern warm-up exercises demonstrating use of the spine; at least some of these exercises should be performed in a standing position.
- Include center and across the floor combinations that demonstrate use of space.
- If you have choreographic experience, you are invited to include samples of your choreography in addition to the ballet and modern exercises.