All applicants will need to provide the following items for their Application for Admission to be considered complete. Items are grouped by task, not necessarily the order in which they need to be completed.
Step I – submit as soon as possible
- Cornish Application for Admission
- Artist Statement/Personal Essay
Writing is an important component of being an artist, and an extremely important part of being a student at Cornish. Please submit an artist statement OR personal essay of approximately 250 to 500 words.
Artist Statement – Use your statement as a way to introduce yourself and your work to us. We are interested in finding out more about you, your art practice and why you consider yourself a strong candidate for Cornish’s program. Please include information about performances, exhibitions, community service projects and any other activities that have contributed to your work. You may want to address the following questions:
- What am I doing in terms of my art practice?
- How am I doing it?
- Why am I doing it?
- What influences me?
- What is next in terms of my work?
Personal Essay – Think of this essay as your opportunity to provide us a more complete picture of yourself above and beyond the other application materials. This is an opportunity to tell what influenced your decision to pursue a degree in the arts. Additionally, you should address how you see yourself contributing to the Cornish community specifically with respect to the college’s mission: The mission of Cornish College of the Arts is to provide students aspiring to become practicing artists with an educational program of the highest possible quality, in an environment that nurtures creativity and intellectual curiosity, while preparing them to contribute to society as artists, citizens and innovators.
- Application Fee
Step II– Request these items to be sent to Cornish on your behalf.
- Official High School Transcript or equivalency. Transcript should be issued to the college directly from the high school or testing center. You may use a Transcript Request Form to give to your school. The form contains all the instructions they need to send the transcript to Cornish.
- Official College/University Transcripts Required if you have completed any college or university courses. You may use a Transcript Request Form to give to your school. The form contains all the instructions they need to send the transcript to Cornish.
- Letter of Recommendation. Submit one letter of recommendation from an instructor or other professional familiar with your work (e.g. an art teacher, dance instructor etc.) who can evaluate your technical skills, motivation, commitment, maturity and potential to succeed at Cornish.
- SAT/ACT test scores (optional) While Cornish does not require an SAT/ACT test score. we highly recommend students submit their SAT and/or ACT test score if they have one. The Cornish code for SAT is 0058 and the Cornish code for ACT is 4501
Step III– Audition or Portfolio Review
- An audition or portfolio is required of every applicant before a decision will be made.
- You are able to load the audition or portfolio when you submit Part I or go back when you are ready to add it.
- See Audition and Portfolio Review section for details.
Application DeadlinesDecember 1 - Early Action
Complete all parts of the application, including audition or portfolio review, by December 1 and receive admission decision by mid-December.
March 1 – Deadline extended!
Admission Decisions will be sent on a rolling basis as files are completed.
After March 1 -Rolling Admission
Applications will be considered after March 1, pending space availability.