Summer Semester Study Abroad
Cornish College of the Arts believes that international understanding can enhance a student’s development as an artist and as a citizen of the world. To that end, the College supports study abroad, and is pleased to provide the opportunity for its students to enrich their Cornish degree programs with a meaningful international experience.
Minimum Requirements for Eligibility
- Junior standing during the semester abroad
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Completed Cornish Application for Semester Study Abroad
Selection of Study Abroad ProgramCornish works with consortium partners to provide access to dozens of study abroad semester programs all over the world. Cornish’s agreements with Arcadia University and the Institute for Study Abroad at Butler University allow students to choose from a wide variety of programs that will allow them to earn credit towards their degree programs at Cornish while broadening their worldviews through international study. Students may apply to programs offered through other organizations if a consortium agreement can be created. Students should discuss options with the Assistant Registrar well in advance of applying.
Tuition, Fees, and Financial Aid
Students on all summer session study abroad programs pay tuition and fees directly to the consortium partner. Cornish will work with the student and the consortium partner to apply some or all of the student’s financial aid award toward the study abroad fees; any remaining charges are the student’s responsibility. Students should fully research their prospective program's policies and procedures prior to meeting with the Student Accounts Manager at Cornish.
- Students must first receive preliminary approval from Cornish before applying to a study abroad program. Without this approval, academic credit cannot be granted for coursework completed abroad. Please refer to the Summer Study Abroad Approval Form and Summer Study Abroad Information Sheet for full details.Students apply during their sophomore year. .
As part of the College’s application, students must discuss their plans with their Department Chair and receive the department’s approval to study abroad. The Assistant Registrar can help students determine a preliminary schedule of classes.
Cornish Applications for Summer Semester Study Abroad are due February 15th
- Students who are approved by Cornish to transfer back study abroad credits must then initiate the application process directly with Arcadia University or the Institute for Study Abroad at Butler University (or approved non-affiliated provider.) These deadlines vary; it is the student’s responsibility to keep track of all application, visa and travel requirements.
- Upon acceptance to a study abroad program, students should arrange to meet with the Student Accounts Manager at Cornish to discuss how the disbursement of financial aid will work.
- Before departure, students must turn in a completed Study Abroad Leave of Absence form to officially inform the College of their intent to study abroad, and withdraw from any classes at Cornish for which they may have registered in advance.
- In order in ensure that study abroad credits transfer back smoothly, students must complete a Study Abroad Transfer Agreement in conjunction with their Department Chair. A completed Agreement must be turned into the Registration and Records Office before departure. Study abroad coursework is subject to the College’s transfer policy. Students must earn a 2.0 (“C”) grade or above for transfer of credit.