April 09, 2013
Expo 13 – Annual Cornish College of the Arts BFA Exhibition Expands, May 10-25
Cornish College of the Arts presents EXPO 13, May 10 through 25, expanding the College’s annual art and design exhibition to include more student work in different disciplines. The opening reception is Friday, May 10, from 5 to 9 pm and a series of Student Spotlights will be featured on Saturday, May 11 from 1 to 5 pm.
Representing one of the largest classes in the visual arts at Cornish, 47 art seniors and 44 design seniors will show their work in EXPO 13.
According to Exhibitions Curator Cable Griffith, the name change reflects a big turning point in the goal of the exhibition, moving from simply being a gallery of work — as important as that is — toward becoming a major event. “The intent, long-term, for EXPO is to demonstrate all of the work at Cornish,” said Griffith, “bringing the art, design, theater, dance, music and performance production departments together to show our students’ capstone achievements.”
- Opening Reception: Friday, May 10, 5 - 9 pm, both locations
- Student Spotlights: Saturday, May 11, 1-5 pm, both locations
- Design BFA Exhibition: May 10 - 24, Main Campus Center, 1000 Lenora St.
- Art BFA Exhibition: May 10 - 25, Visual Arts Complex, 2000 Terry Avenue
- Gallery Hours: noon - 5 pm, Monday - Saturday
The opening reception on May 10 includes new features along the street between the two exhibition locations, including food carts. The goal is to extend event activities along Terry Avenue between the two exhibition venues.
The art and design departments will host a new “Student Spotlight” on May 11. This new event will feature live performance pieces and offer an opportunity for design students to personally present their work, a chance to better represent themselves professionally.
The physical footprint of the show also expands. EXPO 13 will take over the building at 2000 Terry Avenue for the art department’s expanded exhibition. The design exhibition will also grow, adding a screening room for video and digital media in the Main Campus Center at 1000 Lenora.
Next year’s EXPO 14 will extend to include performances and collaborations from other Cornish departments, in celebration of Cornish College of the Arts’ Centennial. Nellie Cornish opened the original school on November 14, 1914.
Producing Sponsor for EXPO 13 is Blick Art Materials. Sustaining Sponsors are IA Interior Architects, Mahlum Architects Inc and VETRANS LLC. In-Kind Sponsor is Chateau Ste. Michelle. Media Sponsor is The Stranger’s A&P.
Subscribe Learn about what goes on behind the scenes of our programs.
- Angels Appear At Cornish Playhouse “When is Marya going to come down in her wings?” whispered one…
- Taub Tours Germany With SMC Cornish faculty member Paul Taub spent part of his summer touring Germany…
- How Agustina Discovered She Can Go to Cornish NOW Agustina Robinson experienced Summer at Cornish, an opportunity made possible by a…