Neddy Artist Awards Application: FAQs
What are the Neddy Artist Awards?
The Neddy Artist Awards are among the largest awards for professional artists in the State of Washington, providing two annual gifts of $25,000, and six awards of $1,500, to artists living and working in the Puget Sound region. One $25,000 award goes to an artist working in the medium of Painting: the other goes to an artist working in Open Medium.
The Neddy Artist Awards, established in 1996 by the Behnke family, honors the art, accomplishments and community involvement of Seattle painter and teacher Robert E. “Ned” Behnke (1948-1989). Stewardship of the awards program moved to Cornish College of the Arts in 2011.
How are Neddy Artist Awardees selected?
There are two Neddy Artist Awards each year. Recipients demonstrate artistic distinction through an established body of work and a commitment to their practice in Painting or Open Medium.
Ned Behnke embodied Cornish College of the Art’s mission of developing artists as citizens—individuals who create outstanding artwork with an applied consciousness of responsibility to society. As the awards honor Ned’s legacy, Neddy Artist Award recipients reflect and embody his belief in the power of art and artists to be positive forces in our world. The criteria for the awards are:
- Demonstrated commitment to and ongoing development of one’s artistic vision
- Demonstrated engagement with the world through art practice, broadly understood.
How do I apply for a Neddy Artist Award?
Applicants must fulfill the online application requirements (visit www.callforentry.org for details on image/file preparation and other submission information) by the application deadline(April 24th). Applications sent by mail, submitted in person, or arriving late or incomplete will not be considered. The application is available via CaFÉ beginning March 6th.
In what disciplines are the Neddy Artist Awards awarded?
The Neddy Artist Awards recognizes that artists today are working within, around, between and across disciplines. For the purposes of the Neddy Artist Awards selection process, artists are asked to apply to the award category that best represents their practice.
PAINTING: In honor of Ned Behnke and his passion for painting, one Neddy Artist Award celebrates artists who continue to innovate through this medium.
OPEN MEDIUM: Reflecting the ever-increasing possibilities in contemporary art practices, one Neddy Artist Award honors artists who work in any medium or combination of media grounded in the visual arts. These include but are not limited to photography, ceramics, video, installation art and multiple or combined mediums.
Who is eligible to receive a Neddy Artist Award?
Artists who apply for a Neddy Artist Award must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be U.S. citizens and full-time residents of Washington State, residing in the greater Puget Sound region (Island, Jefferson, King, Kitsap, Mason, Pierce, Skagit, San Juan, Snohomish, Thurston and Whatcom counties)
- Be 18 years of age or older during the time of application
- Be currently active, demonstrating an ongoing pattern of producing and presenting work
- Previous Neddy Artist Awardees of the $25,000 prize are ineligible to reapply. Previous Neddy Artist Finalists, recipients of the $1,500 prize, are eligible to reapply after a one-year hiatus
- Students currently enrolled in either undergraduate or graduate degree programs at the time of application are ineligible. Those who have completed all degree requirements at the time of application, but have yet to matriculate may be eligible pending verification. Please contact program staff for more information.
- Cornish College of the Arts full-time core faculty and trustees are ineligible.
- Any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Are previous Neddy Artist Award Finalists eligible to apply?
Previous recipients of the $25,000 awards are ineligible. Previous finalists are eligible to reapply after a one-year hiatus.
Are students eligible to apply?
Students currently enrolled in either undergraduate or graduate degree programs at the time of application are ineligible. Those who have completed all degree requirements at the time of application, but have yet to matriculate may be eligible pending verification. Please contact Neddy Artist Awards program staff for more information.
Who selects the Neddy Artist Award Finalists and Awardees?
A panel of three regional arts professionals reviews all applications and selects four finalists in each category (PAINTING and OPEN MEDIUM). From this pool of eight artists, a single national juror from outside the region reviews each application packet and visits each artist studio, selecting one artist in each category to receive the $25,000 award.
When are the Neddy Artist Awards announced?
Please check back in April 2018 for an update.