OverviewThe Cornish Library offers a specialized collection of Visual and Performing Arts materials. Humanities and Sciences subject areas are covered in support of the classes taught at Cornish. For topics not covered in the campus library collection, students have access to a large electronic book collection as well as other online resources. Students can also use Seattle Public Library’s general collection and online databases for free. The Cornish Library offers Interlibrary Loan service.
On-Site Collection - In the Library
- Books - 30,000
- Music Scores - 5,200
- Journal Titles - 140
- Slides - 45,000
- CDs and other music recordings - 7,000
- Videos - 3,700
Online CollectionsSee the Research Databases page for a complete list of resources and links.
- Electronic Books - 130,000 from Ebrary Academic Complete
- Full-text Journals - 10,172 from ProQuest Research Library, Art Source, JSTOR Arts & Sciences III, Film & Television Literature Index with Full Text, International Bibliography of Theater and Dance with Full Text.
- Digital Images - 1.9 million from ARTstor.
- Streaming Music Tracks - 1.5 million from Naxos Music Library - Classical and Jazz.
- Streaming Videos - 2,500 from Naxos Video Library and On the Boards.tv.
- Online Video Tutorials - 100,000 from Lynda.com.
- Online Encyclopedias - 4 including Britannica Online Academic Edition, The International Encyclopedia of Dance, Oxford Art Online (with Grove Dictionary of Art), and Oxford Music Online (with Grove Dictionary of Music).
Cornish Librarians are available at the front desk during the day, Mon-Fri, for questions and research assistance. They can help you find the best information resources available for your project or assignment. Librarians teach introductory and advanced research methods for a variety of classes across all four years. Library orientations are offered for incoming freshmen and transfer students.
Library Computer Services
- Connect to the campus wireless network via Wi-Fi; available throughout the library and the entire MCC building.
- Most freshmen register for Wi-Fi using self-signup instructions provided by Housing. If you need assistance setting up your device on Cornish’s wireless network, check with the Information Technology office, Room 106.
Student Computer Lab
- 12 computers running Windows 7.
- Software: Office suite, Paint.net, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Open Office, PDF Creator, PDF Binder, Adobe Reader, Paint.NET, ARTstor Offline Image Viewer, QuickTime, Windows Movie Maker, CDBurnerXP, Real Player, Zotero Standalone, VideoLAN VLC Player, Firefox browser, Chrome browser, Internet Explorer browser. Also science and math software: Scilab, Blender and Mandelbulber.
- Drives available on lab PCs: DVD, USB port for thumb drive.
- The lab is sometimes reserved for library instruction—class times will be posted on the front doors of the library and the lab.
- Printing is fee-based and requires an account set up with the Cornish Cashier.
- At the beginning of the academic year, each student will start off with a $20 credit in their printing account as a free quota. After the quota us used up, they will need to add money to the account to keep printing for the remainder of the academic year.
- Black & White printer in computer lab: 1¢ per page.
- Color printing sent to Xerox copy machine in library: 8.5x11 - 25¢ per page. 11x17 - 50¢ per page.
- Self-service Xeroxcopy machine. Provides change for bills up to $20.
- Enlarges and reduces.
- B&W copies: 8.5x11 - 10¢ per page. 11x17 - 20¢ per page.
- Color copies: 8.5x11 - 25¢ per page. 11x17 - 50¢ per page.
- Scan to USB flash drive for free.
- Equipment is available for playing and copying CDs, Cassette tapes, DAT tapes, vinyl LP records, DVD and VHS videos.