The Notion Building .
The Notion Building contains the offices of the Humanities & Sciences Department, the Main Campus’ principal lecture hall, and a large studio. With two undeveloped floors of 7200 square feet a piece, Notion represents a major part of Cornish’s expansion at the Main Campus. Completed in 1930, a year after the historic Volker Building—now the Cornish Main Campus Center, the Notion Building is its stylistic bookend. Both are in the period’s Art Deco style.
The structure was created to be the store building for the Puget Sound Notion Company. It was designed by architect Louis Svarz and engineered by the firm of Hall and Stevenson. As was Cornish’s Volker Building (the MCC) and Beebe Building, Notion was one of a cluster of structures for companies selling fabric and furnishings.
The building’s interior was redesigned in the late 1970s to be the home of Alpha Cine Labs, a company specializing in post-production work on film. Among the films processed in the Notion Building were the first two installments of Star Wars. It was purchased, along with several of the College’s other buildings in the Main Campus, in the early 2000s.