As part of the application process to Cornish College of the Arts, music applicants submit an online audition. Three different musical selections are required and may be uploaded in either audio or video format using our Portfolio Tool. We do not accept links to external websites such as Youtube or Soundcloud.
Your selections should each be between 2 to 12 minutes in length and should represent the fullest sense of who you are as a musician. We want to hear you at your best!
Your audition may be drawn from any of the following:
- Performances that demonstrate your primary instrument or voice type in a classical, jazz, contemporary, or world music setting; solo, with accompaniment, or featuring you in an ensemble.
- An improvisation in any style over an existing form/tune or “free.”
- Original compositions in any genre with accompanying scores or notation if applicable.
- Multimedia works or collaborations.
- Compress your files to be smaller than 4GB, if possible, for fastest uploading.
- Separate selections into individual tracks, as opposed to uploading one large file.
- Name each file with your last name and the title of the selection.
- Check the quality of both audio and video files before you upload. Is the piano accompanist too loud? Is there crowd noise that is interfering? Does the microphone accurately represent your live sound? If you are submitting video, is what we are seeing the best way for us to interact with your music?
- If you have used audio processing in any part of your recording, please explain in the description area of each track what was used such as editing, reverb, digital delay, overdubbing, etc. We don’t mind you using these techniques, we’d just like you to identify them so we know what to listen for.
If you have any questions about preparing your online audition, please contact the Music Department at email@example.com We’re here to help you in the process.
In addition to your online audition, we invite you to one of our open house weekends on November 18 and 19, 2017, or February 24 and 25, 2018. At these events you can learn more about Cornish and our Music Department, meet current students, take a lesson with a faculty member, and attend a concert in our historic concert hall. We look forward to meeting you and welcoming you to Cornish!
Join us for Music Department Open Houses - bring your instrument and be ready to play!