Dance Department Admission
An audition is required to be considered for admission to the Dance program at Cornish College of the Arts. The audition gauges your potential for success in the Dance Program. Previous dance training is required for admission.
When and Where to Audition
We offer auditions on–campus and in several cities around the country. Due to the popularity of the Dance Program at Cornish and the limited number of spaces available for new students each year, you are encouraged to audition in person.
On-Campus auditions for Fall 2014 will take place on November 21, 2013 and February 17, 2014.
Regional Auditions will be held in the following cities:
- San Francisco, CA – February 16, 2014 at ODC Dance Commons
- Riverside, CA - March 2, 2014 at Riverside CC
In addition, faculty will be traveling and offering master classes at selected schools in the following cities:
- Los Angeles
- San Francisco
Early Auditions and Open House
For those students who would prefer to audition early the Dance Department hosts Early Auditions on November 21, 2013 and a Dance Department Open House on November 22, 2013. Students who plan to audition in November must complete the application materials no later than November 1, 2013..
Visit the open house page to RSVP.
- You will participate in both a ballet and a modern technique class at an intermediate level.
- You will be observed and evaluated by a member of the Dance Faculty on the basis of previous technical training, alignment, core support, expressive phrasing, and individual artistic potential.
- For audition classes you should wear a form-fitting leotard and tights. For ballet classes, wear soft ballet shoes (no pointe work is required). For modern classes, be prepared to dance with bare feet.
DVD Auditions/Online Auditions
The Dance faculty strongly encourages you to make every effort to audition in person. It is to your benefit. However, if distance prevents you from auditioning in person, you may send in a DVD audition or post your audition online no later than February 1. https://app.decisiondesk.com/clients/cornishdance/apply
Your audition material should be 10–20 minutes long.
- It should demonstrate your technical level and ability in ballet and modern dance.
- If possible, you should be filmed in your current dance class.
- The recorded image should show your entire body.
- The ballet portion should be 5–10 minutes in length.
- Please perform several barre exercises (plies, tendus, ronds de jambes, développés, grand battements) and center floor combinations including adagio, pirouette, petit allegro and grand allegro. If possible, the camera should be focused on the side of the body during the barre in order to record alignment.
- The modern portion should be 5–10 minutes in length.
- Perform typical modern warm-up exercises demonstrating use of the spine; at least some of these exercises should be performed in a standing position.
The recording should also include center and across the floor combinations that demonstrate use of space. If you have choreographic experience, you are invited to include samples of your choreography in addition to the ballet and modern exercises.
If you choose to audition by DVD or online submission, two letters of recommendation are required. One of these must be from a current dance instructor. These letters should mailed directly to the Office of Admission:
Office of Admission
Cornish College of the Arts
1000 Lenora St
Seattle, WA 98121