An audition is required to be considered for admission to the Dance program at Cornish College of the Arts. The audition gauges your potential for success in the Dance Program. Previous dance training is required for admission.
When and Where to Audition
We offer auditions on–campus and in several cities around the country. See list below.
Due to the popularity of the Dance Program at Cornish and the limited number of spaces available for new students each year, you are encouraged to audition in person.
- You will participate in both a ballet and a modern technique class at an intermediate level.
- You will be observed and evaluated by a member of the Dance Faculty on the basis of previous technical training, alignment, core support, expressive phrasing, and individual artistic potential.
- For audition classes you should wear a form-fitting leotard and tights. For ballet classes, wear soft ballet shoes (no pointe work is required). For modern classes, be prepared to dance with bare feet.
The Dance department strongly encourages you to make every effort to audition in person. If distance prevents you from auditioning in person, you may post your audition online.
If you choose to audition by online submission, two letters of recommendation are required. One of these must be from a current dance instructor. These letters should mailed directly to the Office of Admission:
Office of Admission
Cornish College of the Arts
1000 Lenora St
Seattle, WA 98121
Guidelines For Recording Auditions
Your audition material should be 10–20 minutes long. It should demonstrate your technical level and ability in ballet and modern dance.
- The recorded image should show your entire body.
- The ballet portion should be 5–10 minutes in length.
- Please perform several barre exercises (plies, tendus, ronds de jambes, développés, grand battements) and center floor combinations including adagio, pirouette, petit allegro and grand allegro. If possible, the camera should be focused on the side of the body during the barre in order to record alignment.
- The modern portion should be 5–10 minutes in length.
- Perform typical modern warm-up exercises demonstrating use of the spine; at least some of these exercises should be performed in a standing position.
- Include center and across the floor combinations that demonstrate use of space.
- If you have choreographic experience, you are invited to include samples of your choreography in addition to the ballet and modern exercises.
2016 Audition Dates
|November 1, 2015 10:30 am – 1:00 pm||Edge Performing Arts Center, Los Angeles, CA|
|November 3, 2015 4:00 pm – 6:30 pm||Berkeley Ballet Theater, Berkeley, CA|
|November 8, 2015||Cornish College of the Arts, Seattle, WA|
|February 7, 2016||Cornish College of the Arts ,Seattle, WA|