Apply for Admission FAQ

Cornish is a four-year visual and performing arts college offering a Bachelor of Music degree and Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degrees in Art, Dance, Design, Performance Production, and Theater. 

What degrees and majors do you offer?

Cornish offers a Bachelor of Music (BMus), a Post-baccalaureate in Early Music and Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degrees in five major disciplines. A new Film+Media program is being developed for fall 2015 pending accreditation and requisite approvals.

● Bachelor of Music: Composition, Classical Instrumental, Voice and Opera, Jazz Instrumental, Jazz Vocal

● Post Baccalaureate in Early Music

● BFA in Art: Painting, Photography, Printmaking, Sculpture, Video and Digital Media, Performance Art

● BFA in Dance: Choreography, Performance, Teaching

● BFA in Design: Graphic Design, Interior Architecture, Motion Design, User Design 

● BFA in Performance Production: Lighting Design, Scenic Design, Costume Design, Sound Design, Stage Management, Technical Direction

● BFA in Theater: Acting, Original Works (directing /playwriting), Musical Theater

● BFA in Film: Fiction, Non-Fiction, and Experimental Works (Planned for fall 2015 pending accreditation and requisite approvals.)

Students must select one major area of study at the time of application.

When does the school year start?

● Fall Semester 2014 begins September 2, 2014.

● Spring Semester 2014 begins January 12, 2015.

● Fall Semester 2015 begins September 8, 2015.

Is Cornish accredited?

Yes, Cornish College of the Arts is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) and the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).

How can I get an application packet and Viewbook?

To request a hardcopy of our application packet and Viewbook you can click Request Viewbook or call us at 800-726-ARTS. You’ll also find our catalog online along with our most up-to-date admission criteria, financial aid information, portfolio review and audition procedures, as well as information about each of our majors.

How do I schedule a campus tour?

To schedule a campus tour, click on Visit Campus where you can RSVP online for tours or events. If you have more specific needs, we can make special arrangements for you when you call our office toll-free at 800-726-2787 (800-726-ARTS). Our office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time, Monday through Friday. If you’d prefer email, you can drop us a line at

What are your International Student admission guidelines?

International students must submit all application requirements in order to be considered for admission to Cornish College of the Arts and to be considered for a student visa (F-1). International Students need to submit a copy of their passport and if already in the United States, copies of their current immigration status. Students who do not speak English as their native and current language must submit a TOEFL exam score of at least 80 (iBT), or IELTS equivalent score. The Cornish code is 4801. In addition, financial records will be required showing a student has at least $50,000 US dollars available for the first year of study.

Do you have a graduate program?

At this time, Cornish College of the Arts only offers a post-bac diploma in Early Music.

Do you accept transfer credits from other colleges?

Cornish accepts transfer credit from accredited two- and four-year colleges. College-level, non-remedial course work graded "C" or better from regionally accredited institutions will be considered for transfer at the time a transfer student applies for admission. A student may receive a maximum of 70 semester credits of humanities and sciences coursework and/or studio coursework to be applied toward a degree. Transfer credits will be determined when the student has his/her portfolio review or audition. Transfer student applicants will receive formal notification of the transfer credits granted when they are admitted to the College. Learn more about applying as a transfer student.

What about credits from AP, IB, Running Start and Prior Learning?

Students may receive credits from AP and IB exams as well as from Running Start and Prior Learning Experience. Click here for more details.

What should I know about applying to Cornish if I am a U.S. Military Veteran?

All of the academic programs at Cornish College of the Arts have been approved by the Higher Education Coordinating Board’s State Approving Agency (HECB/SAA) for veterans who are eligible to receive veteran’s benefits under Title 38 and Title 10 of the U.S. Code. Veterans who want to attend Cornish should apply for admission and for their VA benefits simultaneously. Once admitted, new students should be prepared to accommodate a possible delay of at least two months between the start of the term and receipt of veteran’s benefits. Please visit the VA Benefits page for more information about using veteran’s education benefits at Cornish.

What are your admission requirements?

In addition to a successful audition or portfolio review, applicants will also be evaluated on their academic background. All students must have graduated from high school with a minimum grade point average of 2.5 (on a 4-point scale). A passing score on the GED will be accepted in lieu of a high school transcript. Home-schooled applicants will be evaluated on an individual basis. Click here to learn more.

Are the SAT or ACT required?

The SAT and ACT are not required, but we recommend that you take them. Test scores can be sent to us directly from the testing agency. Cornish’s SAT code is 0058 and our ACT code is 4501.

What is required during a portfolio review/audition?

See sidebar for here for audition/portfolio requirements for a particular degree.

What is your application deadline?

Early Deadline: No Application Fee if you apply on or before December 1
Priority Deadline:  $40 Application Fee if you apply on or before February 1
Rolling Admission through August 1: $60 Application Fee if you apply after February 1

How much is tuition?

Tuition is currently $35,400 for the 2014-15 academic year.

Is financial aid available?

Financial aid is available for all eligible students. If you require financial aid, please submit the FAFSA by March 1 to maximize your eligibility. We also encourage you to speak with an Admission counselor about any questions or specific concerns you may have. Call us at 800-726-ARTS (800-726-2787).

Are scholarships available?

Cornish College of the Arts offers scholarships to incoming and continuing students based on talent and talent/financial need. These scholarships range from 10% to 40% of tuition and can be combined with other financial assistance programs. We encourage you to expand your scholarship research outside the institution. 

See Student Life for additional outside scholarships:

Do you have on-campus or off-campus housing?

Cornish offers on-campus housing. We also offer information and services to assist new and continuing students in finding off-campus housing and roommates.

What services do you have for students with disabilities?

Cornish College of the Arts endeavors to make its programs accessible to qualified students with disabilities (consistent with federal and state laws).

How does Cornish fit into Seattle’s culture and community?

Seattle is a great city for a young emerging artist. Seattle’s thriving arts community can help fuel your creativity and expose you to a wealth of new experiences. You’ll also find a culture that is hungry for new ideas and that supports the work Cornish students are producing. Our campus is in the heart of downtown Seattle and in proximity to the entire arts community.

Do you have a non-degree program if I just want to take a class or two?

Cornish offers a limited selection of non-matriculated or non-degree-seeking classes. These classes can usually be taken without an audition or portfolio review. Students can take these classes for college credit or simply for experience. Contact the Office of Registration & Records for more information regarding course schedules, registration times and dates.

Do you have a summer program or other extension classes?

​Yes! Click on Extension Programs above to learn more.