Textbooks by Department
Textbooks are handled differently by each department. Some use Amazon, some use University Book Store, or both. Please link to your department for details.
For departments using University Bookstore, please see the information below.
University Book Store textbook orders can be placed online or you can visit their University District store next to the University of Washington campus. The textbook section is located on the basement level. Cornish textbooks are always shelved together in a special “Cornish” section so you can browse before you buy if you wish. Directions and hours
If no titles are listed for your class, then:
- Textbooks may not be required for this class.
- The titles may not have arrived yet.
- The faculty may have ordered textbooks through another source, such as Amazon.
- Call the bookstore at 634-3500 x355 to double check whether titles are available.
- Check with your department coordinator.
- Check with your instructor on the first day of class for textbook information.
- Fall Semester: May 15
- Spring Semester: October 15
- Summer Session: April 15
- Your coordinator’s deadline may be a little earlier for department processing.
Order textbooks online using their online order form. Your Department Coordinator can help you set up a new account. At the beginning of the semester you can view textbook lists online by course number to see what’s available for students.
If you have a question or problem with your order just call and ask. Staff will be happy to help you.
- Ed Hausken, Textbook Buyer
206.634.3400 ext 335 · Fax: 206.632.9080
- Rob Dodson, Textbook Manager
206.634.3400 ext 331 · Fax: 206.632.9080
Why such an early deadline for Fall?
University Book Store is competing with other academic bookstores to fill Fall orders. Early ordering helps them avoid out-of-stock problems. They understand that some Fall classes are not yet confirmed in May. If you order later they will do their best to obtain books in time for classes, but they cannot guarantee publisher availability.